- Every minute, one million plastic bottles are bought around the world, and that figure is expected to go up 20% by 2021. According to the Environmental Audit Committee consumption of bottled water has doubled over the last 15 years, with over 7 billion plastic water bottles used each year in the UK.
- An appalling 700,000 plastic bottles are littered every single day in the UK. Many of these are making their way into our oceans. Plastic bottles now make up one-third of all plastic pollution in the sea and there are now over 159 plastic bottles for every mile of beach in the UK. The impact on our wildlife is becoming catastrophic – 100,000 marine mammals and turtles and 1 million seabirds are killed by plastic pollution annually.
One solution? Provide free water refills
- Offering free water refills from your business provides a free and easy solution for preventing plastic pollution from single-use bottles at source. If just 1 in 10 Brits refilled once a week, we’d save around 340 million plastic bottles a year.
- Research has shown that 73% of us are concerned about plastic pollution and 64 per cent of people surveyed said they would stop buying it if they could access tap water refills.
We would really love your business to pledge to offer free water refills. Please complete the form to make your pledge.
When you pledge:
- Your business will be promoted across the Chesterfield community in press as well as social media
- You’ll receive a window sticker to place on your window so people know you are offering a water refill
- Your business will appear on the global map via the Refill app