Plastic Free Chesterfield is a community campaign dedicated to minimising Chesterfield’s contribution to the single-use plastic crisis. The group is one of over 700 Plastic Free Community groups across the country supported by Surfers Against Sewage.
As of May 2021, Chesterfield has become an accredited Plastic Free Community with Surfers Against Sewage.
It has achieved this through:
- Chesterfield Borough Council passing a motion to reduce single-use plastics from their operations, support plastic-free initiatives, as well as our campaign
- 50 businesses have made at least three swaps away from single-use plastic and been awarded for their efforts
- 40 community groups and organisations have signed up as a supporter of the campaign and signed the Plastic Free Pledge
- 10 schools have signed up to the Plastic Free Schools programme
- CCS Media, a large employer with headquarters in Chesterfield, have signed up to the campaign and made their own Plastic Free Pledge
- A steering group has been formed with community members along with a representative from the council and CCS Media
As of May 2021, Plastic Free Chesterfield continues the campaign to raise awareness and work with the local community to reduce single-use plastics. The group is run entirely by volunteers and everyone is welcome to get involved in this exciting and rewarding campaign.
Plastic pollution has sadly become synonymous with any coastal activity, from surfing to swimming, beach holidays to wildlife watching – it is simply an expected part of our experience. This is why marine plastic pollution, and specifically tackling society’s throwaway, excessive or unnecessary plastic culture, is now Surfers Against Sewage’s top priority. Plastic pollution is an issue that connects the environment with all parts of society, and is something that we can take action on at every level. Indeed, it will only be through concrete, collective, positive action that we will be able to catalyse the shift that is needed to stop the flood of plastic pollution from overwhelming our world.