Plastic Free Chesterfield is a volunteer, community-led campaign working to reduce single-use plastics across Chesterfield borough.
To celebrate our very first Chesterfield Plastic Free Festival on 8th August, we are organising a poetry competition.
The best poetry comes from deeply held beliefs and feelings, so the inspiration behind the poems should be your thoughts about how we are affecting our environment, especially with our use of throw-away items like plastic bottles.
The poem can be in any style, comic or serious, the only limit is that it should be less than 200 words long and your own original work.
There will be three categories for entrants – adults, 11-18 years and up to 10 years.
The winner of the adult category will earn a basket of eco-friendly personal care goodies, and the younger entrants will win a book token and a signed book of poetry by one of our special guest poets. The winners will also have the chance to read out their poem live at the festival!
Please submit your entries by 1st August to email@example.com.
Terms and conditions
- Entries for the Plastic Free Chesterfield Poetry Competition should be on the subject of your thoughts about how we are affecting our environment and should be 200 words or less. The closing date for entries is 11:59pm Sunday 1st August 2021.
- Each entrant may submit only one poem. Each entry must be the original work of the entrant.
- When submitting your entry, you must specify your name, and which age category you fall into. We will only use this information in relation to the competition (including checking your eligibility to enter it) and will not use it for any other purposes whatsoever. We will not keep this information for longer than is necessary for the operation of the competition.
- Winning entries will be published by Plastic Free Chesterfield on our website in Mid September or as soon as possible thereafter.
- The judge will be Jennifer Bruce (Masters in English Literature and a Chesterfield published poet) – her decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into concerning this decision.
- You own the copyright to your competition entry as its author. By submitting an entry to the competition, you a. grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide licence to republish your Competition entry for purposes connected with the Competition, including media offered by partners; and b. The right to use your name and age for the sole purpose of identifying you as the author of your entry.
- Sending in an entry to the competition means that you accept these terms and conditions, which are the rules of the competition. If you are a child entering, you should check with your parent or guardian that they are happy for you to enter the competition based on these terms and conditions.
- For children entering, we require the consent in writing (which may include e-mail) of the parent or guardian of the author of a winning entry to publish that winning entry. If we do not receive written consent (which may include e-mail) from the parent or guardian of the author of a winning entry then we may award the prize to another entry for which we are able to gain such consent.
- The prizes cannot be exchanged or transferred by you and cannot be redeemed by you for cash or any other prizes.
- Plastic Free Chesterfield accepts no liability for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the competition or accepting the prizes.
If you would like to get in touch with the organisers of the competition, please send contact us via the Contact page.
Good luck to all our entrants!